Obalon: The First and Only Ingestible Balloon Weight-Loss System
Obalon is an FDA-approved, ingestible balloon system designed to facilitate weight loss in obese adults with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 30 to 40. This one-of-a-kind, non-surgical system has a lifespan of six months and is intended to augment a professionally supervised nutrition and exercise program for optimal results.
Three balloons are placed inside the stomach — one per three successive outpatient visits. Balloons are delivered inside a capsule, which the patient swallows. Once inside the stomach, balloons are inflated, displacing space so patients eat less while feeling satisfied. The system, along with a moderate-intensity diet/exercise program, helps promote lifestyle changes to eating habits for continued future success.
About the Procedure
- Placement of each Obalon balloon typically takes less than 10 minutes and doesn’t require sedation.
- In your physician’s office, you swallow a capsule containing a small balloon, and then your physician inflates the balloon. A total of three balloons are placed across three outpatient visits.
- After six months, all three balloons are removed in one procedure with light sedation. Removal typically takes no longer than 15 minutes.
The Start of a Lifestyle Shift
Success is dependent on your readiness to develop new lifestyle skills. The degree of long-term weight loss will depend on your ability to modify your lifestyle and maintain this behavior after the balloons are removed. It is important that you discuss your willingness to accept this commitment with your physician before undergoing the Obalon Balloon System treatment.
Obalon Clinical Results
- Patients in Obalon’s clinical study lost twice as much weight as with diet and exercise alone.
- An average of 89% of weight lost in the Obalon Clinical Study was kept off at one year (6 months post-removal), when combined with a moderate-intensity diet and exercise program.
Is Obalon Right for You?
To learn more about Obalon and whether it’s right for you, schedule a personal consultation with one of our certified physicians by filling out a form on our Contact Us page.